Wednesday, December 8, 2010

JMRC Maintenance Day December 4, 2010

JMRC Maintenance Day December 4, 2010
By Dale Hodgson
Although the launch scheduled for December 4 was cancelled due to an unavailable launch site it did not deter the JMRC from getting things done. Roger offered to host a “maintenance day” at his house so that any member could come over, hang out with friends, talk rockets and work on either equipment or special projects.
As it turned out only four folks attended. Roger Sadowsky, Scott Miller, Tony Haga and Dale Hodgson were determined to make a day of it and chose to do something a little bit different. Roger had acquired the launch equipment and miscellaneous containers from GLAR; a club that had previously existed and flew on the east side of the state. The club had disbanded some years ago; Roger was contacted to see if he could make use of any equipment. It was decided to look at the electronics and check the control boxes. Although upon initial inspection it appeared as though renovating the controllers would be a long expensive process Scott decided to accept the challenge and try to work a miracle. So, after removing switches, old cord and what seemed to be pounds of solder the boxes were resurrected. It was like sitting around a camp fire while Uncle Scotty regaled the rest with stories just how this stuff could be made functional. After a few hours of reworking the boxes are very close to being functional after some minor switching around and some quick-connects are installed. The plan is to run the boxes to our relay boxes at the pads just as we do now. Once done the boxes will compatible with the rest of the launch equipment. It was decided that after field testing the controllers would serve as backups or as loaners should someone need them. It was quite an accomplishment. But….it wasn’t over just yet. Upon opening several other totes and other containers rockets were discovered…lots of them. Some were missing parts, needed very minor repair and others were ready to fly. Several unopened kits were also found. It was decided that this “wealth” should be shared. So, the rockets were sorted by condition and were to be placed on the raffle table to serve as prizes. All ended up going home with their new owners on Sunday; we will certainly see them again.
The day was not over…..
Scott left for home but Roger, Tony and Dale remained. By this time Emma Sadowsky returned home and despite repeated warnings decided to hang out with dad and those other old guys anyway. After a dinner break Roger decided to work on his L3 project with absolutely no prodding by Tony and Dale.
So, out came the tubes, glass, epoxy and saw horses. With Emma doing the photo documentation three 11.5” Teal Steel tubes from Dave at Red Arrow were wetted out with 10 oz. and 6 oz. fiberglass. A project this size definitely requires more than one person. Each tube was prepped, rolled and glassed, trimmed and allowed to cure. Each tube turned out better than expected and should prove to make an excellent airframe for Roger’s project.
All in all it was a great day, much was accomplished and at long last Roger’s L3 is under way. That cert flight will be one for the books without a doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment